torstai 18. helmikuuta 2016

Settling in to Luvbrah

It's been three weeks now and I can finally say I've settled in to Luffbra.

On the poor side:
- The lecturer who sounds like Ali G / Borat. You keep speaking hardcore-level sociology, but all I hear is "Jungle is massive! Want to meet my siister? She iss also my-a wiiife, it'sa niiice".
- Why is my bed so short? My feet go like 15 cm over the edge of the bed.
- Why is the sink so low? My back will turn into a horseshoe by the time I get back to Finland.
- What the hell is the kitchen supposed to be in my apartment? Luckily pizza is not far away.
- When Brits say 'Sorry', do they mean to apologize, or to condescend me for not moving out of the way in time?
- Man-flu, not cool, brah'!
- Food-challenges.. still? I've dug a hole for myself.

On the rise:
- The deep-fried everything I eat here.
- Two desserts, all day erry day.
- Interesting lectures.
- All people local and international.
- Food-themed events <3.
- The lecturer who sounds like Ali G / Borat. You keep speaking hardcore-level sociology, but all I hear is "Jungle is massive! Want to meet my siister? She iss also my-a wiiife, it'sa niiice". As distracting as this is, please continue :D

So that's basically how I experience everyday life here. Without going too much into detail, I study semi-regularly but also manage to go out almost every evening. Which is great! We have a whatsapp-group, which constantly reminds us there's jazznight/ pool @ the Griffin / pres / hangover-burgers somewhere anytime of the day. Pick one!

My favorite events so far have been the traditional beers at Amber Rooms every Thursday, even though we never score well in the quiz; the Rock/Metal-night organized by the Union; and most recently the Wine & Pancake-evening, mostly because it was filled with wonderful human beings and because I did not need to do anything else but drink my sauvignon blanc and munch on that pancake.

The people here.. oh crap. This is going to turn into one of those very cheesy "Erasmus life is the best", but here we go. Yes, it's great! We have hobbits, french-men, the borderline-alcoholic who keeps bringing up fascism in every conversation, smoking pipes, crazzy dancers, the pool-players, the american (who everyone tries to convert into a Berner), people with excellent musical taste, the people who appreciate all things Marvel, people who will discuss politics deep into the night, and the best "walking back home from town"- team.

Another highlight was last week when I started a conversation with two real Englishmen, who after almost perfectly guessing my nationality insisted on me hanging out with them for the rest of the night. They were crazy and really funny. The first Brits I've hung out with since I came, actually. The highlight was that they insisted on calling me Constantyne (phonetically Kon-stan-tain), which is how my favorite comic book character, John Constantine, pronounces his surname. Constantine, of course, starred in his own series called Hellblazer, after which I named this blog. The pub-scenes in Hellblazer (by Garth Ennis) are what mostly made me want to come to England in the first place. The pub is just such an experience.

I prefer Constantyne, but it's still okay to call me Con or Cossu, which I guess some do..? (SAAAAM)

I guess the next blog will be either the obligatory reinforcing of, or the deconstruction of myths about Finns. Stay tuned and listen to Hiatus Kaiyote!

Peace!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti